Onions are the common ingredient in various dishes. Besides adding good pungent flavor to dishes, onions are known as a nice source of folic acid, dietary fiber, vitamin B, C – help improve immunity, chromium – helps regulate blood sugar, quercetin compound – helps prevent cancer.
There are a lot of health benefits from onions though, many people sometimes hesitate using it in cooking due to its smell. It is the sulfurous compounds found in the onion that is the reason for the bad breath. After the digestion of raw onion, the smell will come to lungs through the bloodstream then creates the onion breath when you exhale.
Top 7 Tips to Eliminate Onion Breath
If you do not want such foul odor then avoid using onion. If you can not do this, let us try some of the top 7 tips to eliminate onion breath.
Brush your teeth and rinse your mouth
Coming first in this top-7-tip list is toothbrush and mouthwash. This is one of the easiest and quickest ways to get rid of onion breath.
Right after eating onions, you would better brush your teeth and rinse your mouth. You can use toothpaste with a mint flavor to keep your breath from the onion odor. To enjoy the better result, you should rinse your mouth as well.
This way not only helps eliminate onion breath but also protect your teeth from germs.
You should keep a routine of brushing your teeth and washing your mouth after having a meal.
Drink Full-Fat Milk:
For a long time, people have used milk as a natural mouthwash. Scientifically, the fat content contained in milk helps harmonize the sulfur compound in onion then aids remove the bad smell. It is said that using full-fat milk can result in treatment than the skim one. You should drink milk before or during having a meal that has onion.
Besides milk, you can consume other dairy products to eliminate onion smell. Yogurt will be a great choice. Yogurt assists both our digestion and onion removal. Consume it 15-20 minutes after a meal to say goodbye to onion breath.
Drink Green Tea:
Another simple thing we can find in our house which can support bad smell removal is green tea. Green tea contains a high amount of antioxidants and polyphenols that can fight against sulfurous compounds in onion then stop the onion breath.
How to use?
- Take some green tea leaves and put them into a glass of hot water
- Steep it for about 5 minutes
- Take those tea leaves off then add a little honey
- Drink the tea a few times every day
- Keep doing this until the smell disappears.
Mint Can Freshen your Breath
Many properties such as antiseptic, chlorophyll found in mint can freshen your breath and help deal with onion breath in turn.
How to use?
- Prepare some crushed mint leaves then put them into a glass of hot water
- Steep it for about 10 minutes
- Then take off those leaves and add some honey
- Drink this tea a few times a day to get rid of onion smell.
- Or you can chew some fresh mint leaves after having a meal containing onions.
- Alternatively, you can eat chewing gums or candies with mint flavor.
Lemons Can Help You Fight Bad Breath:
Various valuable elements found in lemons including citric acid, antibacterial properties work as a strong combatant against bad breath. Follow the below guidelines to gain benefits from lemons:
- Mix a teaspoon of lemon juice into a glass of water. Use this mixture to wash your mouth carefully 2-3 times every day until the smell goes away.
- Another choice is, you can chew a little lemon peel after a meal to remove onion smell.
Notes: you should not use only lemon juice as a mouthwash because the high amount of citric acid in lemon juice can harm your enamel.
Some enzymes found in apples help neutralize the sulfur compounds in onion then eliminate the onion breath in turn.
You can eat an apple after having a meal containing onion. Or you can make some apple juice then drink it after having a meal.
Use Baking Soda:
Baking soda can keep the mouth’s pH level in balance, neutralize onion smell. In addition, it is supportive for those who want to get rid of oral thrush.
How to use?
- Prepare a mixture with 1-1 ratio of sea salt and baking soda into a glass of warm water
- Use this mixture to rinse your mouth a few times every day to stop onion breath.
Plus, baking soda can also help whiten your teeth.
Tips for takeaway:
- Clean your teeth and mouth properly: you should keep a routine of brushing your teeth and/or washing your mouth after having a meal. Use teeth floss to carefully eliminate remaining food in your teeth. Remember to clean your tongue daily to prevent the germ development.
- Drink enough water to prompt the production of saliva which acts as an effective cleansing agent. Besides, you can eat some sugar-free chewing gums to boost saliva production.
- Stay away from beverages containing alcohol (beers except for vodka) as they can worsen the situation.